I recently did a lot of baking over the weekend. Me and my son had been out picking blackberries and we had 1.1kilos, so I thought I would make some cakes and buns.
The first thing I made was this blackberry sponge cake with cream. Trust me this is so delicious you will be hard pressed to get a piece once the family see it.
- 200gms self raising flour
- 200gms butter, softened
- 200gms caster sugar
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 300ml double cream
- 200gms blackberries and 3 handfuls for the cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C or Gas mark 4.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. I use a hand blender for this.
- Add the eggs one at a time as you continue to mix.
- Once mixed together add the extract.
- Stop blending if using a hand blender then slowly fold in the blackberries. Remember to keep 3 handfuls for the cream.
- Slowly fold in the flour. Keep folding the ingredients together until you have a batter like consistency. As you are folding the mixture, try not to crush the berries.
- Take 2 20cm cake tins and divide the mixture between the 2.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer, inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Once the cakes are cold mix the cream with 2tsb of sugar until the cream starts to harden. Stop mixing then fold in the 3 handfuls of berries into the cream. The idea is not to mix too much so as you crush the berries.
Take a palate knife or any type of knife if you don’t have a palette knife. Spread the cream over the top of one of the cakes. When covered gently place the second cake on top and push down carefully.
- Sprinkle the cake with caster sugar and serve.