One of the great things when growing your own vegetables is making things with them once they are ready. This recipe is typical of the things you can make.
These Beetroot Wedge’s are tasty and will melt in the mouth especially when you use your own home grown beetroots.
- 500g beetroot
- 200g spinach
- 70g Cheddar cheese
- 2 squares of puff pastry
- 2tbsp. olive oil
- 1 egg
- Ground black pepper
- Sesame seeds
- Clean the beets and cut the ends away but DO NOT PEEL.
- Cook them in lightly salted water until soft and tender then rinse under cold water.
- Scrape away the peel.
- Fry the spinach in olive oil until all the water in the spinach has dissipated then let the spinach cool.
- Cut the beetroots into cubes and mix with the cheese and spinach. Season with black pepper and salt (if required)
- Set the oven on 225C or gas mark 6.
- Take the puff pastry and roll out into small squares. Remember you will be turning them into triangles so not too large.
- Fill the squares with the mixture.
- Take one edge of the pastry and fold creating a triangle. Firm the edges with a fork.
- Brush with the egg and sprinkle sesame seeds liberally over the triangles.
- Cook in the oven for 18-20 minutes depending on the type of oven you have, or until light brown.
- Leave to cool before enjoying.
These beetroot wedges are great with honey baked red onions!